Re: Installation failed - again - why am I not surprised

On 2013/3/1 3:55 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 01:39:19PM -0500, Mark Filipak wrote:
13 - Removed hard disk.
14 - Booted Debian-LXDE on 1-GB USB.
14.1 - Created 2.5-GB /, 0.5-GB swap, and 5.0-GB /windows (FAT-32).
14.2 - Attempted install to the 8-GB USB (newly partitioned).
14.3 - Install succeeded!
14.4 - Automatic GRUB install failed!

I would try this:

Answer "no" to the question about installing GRUB to the MBR.

I wasn't asked. It did that automatically.

The next screen should give you some additional options about where to install GRUB.

The 'next' screen merely showed the error. I'm not sure, but I think the screen after that (i.e., after I clicked "Continue") was the main menu from which I selected LILO.

You want to install it to the 8 GB usb stick, which may be
/dev/sdb -- but you should make sure.

Really? Are you saying that at that point the USB thumb drive has a mount point? I don't think so, but what the hell do I know. Even if it has a mount point, I wouldn't know what to do.

Think back to the paritioning
menu.  Whatever drive you partitioned, that's the drive you want to
install GRUB to.

Of course... I thought I tried every path, but I'll repeat the experiment and get back to you...