Re: Moving from a proprietary OS - unnecessarily inful experience -- was [Re: I wish to advocate linux]

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 08:33:41 +0000
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

He
cannot both be around 70 (he usually says he is approaching 70) and
have worked on/with punched cards in 1949.  (Do the arithmetic.)

I never claimed to be THAT old.
Parents married day before Pearl Harbor - will leave family jokes to your imagination
At 9 lbs 10 oz I arrived during meat rationing
My first formal intro to programming involved a precursor to BASIC, at least we beat Dartmouth During H.S. I got very irritated at an IBM Field Service Engineer when he loaned me a schematic of a then current CPU. My reaction - "That is nothing but a bunch of flip-flops". Either 12AX7's or 12AU7's IRCC

That certainly doesn't tell the whole story.  Those same punch cards
or ones visually identical were used in my high school in the 60s.

Cybe R. Wizard