Re: Two copies of E-Mail (Re: I wish to advocate linux)

Bob Proulx wrote:
David Guntner wrote:
Anyway, the recipe is dirt simple.
# Duplicate Suppression.
:0Whc: $MAILDIR/.msgid.cache.lock
| $FORMAIL -D 8192 $MAILDIR/.msgid.cache

         # Take out the Trash.
         :0 a:
         /dev/null

For one I use the mailing list headers List-Id and List-Post.  Those
are the standard headers and those are the best ones to use for filing
mailing list messages.  Smart MUAs use those to know how to do a
list-reply.  Therefore the copy I want is the copy that comes from the
mailing list.

When people CC me directly then the direct copy is almost always the
one that comes first.  The recipe above deletes the second one.  The
second one is usually the one that comes through the mailing list
because this mailing list is sending to 2,000+ recipients and
therefore it takes longer.  The above almost invariably discards the
mailing list copy that I want to keep and keeps the direct copy that I
want to discard.

Good catch!