Re: I wish to advocate linux

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Morel Bérenger wrote:
> > > Cities that switched from Microsoft to Linux, for their departments,
> > > switched back to Windows.
> >
> > Not all. IIRC I've heard of Zurich, recently, said anew that it is
> > interesting to switch to linux because very, very cheaper.
> >
> > And in France, policemen (at least one, affiliated to military) are using
> > Ubuntu in their desktops.
>
> Perhaps Miles and you are right.
>
> It's said that in Germany some big cities dropped Linux after using it
> for a while. I don't know why they stopped using Linux. One of those
> cities should be Munich, but in a German Wiki it's written, that they
> still use Linux :).

Munich in 2003 and Freiburg in 2007.

  Comment: OpenOffice's Tale of Two Cities
  http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Comment-OpenOffice-s-Tale-of-Two-Cities-1760502.html

Munich's program was successful and expanded.  Freiburg's failed and
they reverted to Microsoft.  Why?  I will let you read the article for
that author's observations.

Bob