Re: Keyboard remapping

On 2013-03-01 12:07:07 +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:36:24PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > /lib/udev/keymap is probably better, though it is buggy.
>
> Ok, so I haven't made any changes in there yet.
>
> I've ran showkeys and found that the fn key has a key code.
>
> However, when I do fn+j for example only the fn key code is noted.

What if you start showkeys in scan code dump mode?

> While if I press the actual control key on the keyboard + j I see that
> both key codes are recognised.
>
> Does this ultimately mean that fn can't be used as a control key?

I'd say that you have to try.

> In addition to this I've discovered that my keyboard does not have an
> application key or a right windows key (the key you press to get a
> context menu in a gui).... It is the equivalent of right clicking
> basically. Since I'm blind and I can't use a mouse this key is kind of
> important. How could I bind right alt to act as this key?

If you want to do this only for this keyboard (not for some USB
keyboard that you would connect), you can use /lib/udev/keymap
to map the scancode of the key to the wanted keycode (I don't
have such a key, so I don't know).