RE: 64 bit Wheezy RAM Limitation

-----Original Message-----
From: Claudius Hubig [mailto:debian_1302@chubig.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:34 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: 64 bit Wheezy RAM Limitation

Dear Stephen,

please do not post HTML to the list[1].

Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I am using Oracle VirtualBox (v 4.2.6 r82870) as a testbed for Wheezy
> Testing before upgrading my production linux computer.  The software
> is installed on my 64 bit Dell Inspiron laptop with 8 GB of RAM
> running MS Win
> 7 Professional as the primary OS.
>
> With a couple of exceptions that I attribute to a less than complete
> understanding of the VirtualBox environment, Wheezy is performing well.

Are you running Wheezy _inside_ VirtualBox with Windows 7 as the host OS, or is this a dual-boot system?

If the latter, wheezy should easily detect 8 GB and use them. In case of the former, you probably only allocated 4.7 GB to Wheezy in the VirtualBox configuration, hence the ‘computer’  Wheezy runs on only has 4.7 GB.

Best,

Claudius

[1] as by #9 in the Code of Conduct for Debian mailing lists,
    http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct
--
Please don’t CC me.

Ah.  That's the answer.  Entirely my fault, I only allowed 5GB to the client.
-- cl