Re: Pidgin makes noise

Curt wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I have never seen a case where one of those two things did not silence
> > the bell.
>
> Have you seen a case where the pcspkr module is loaded and the bell is
> silent?

I have a desktop that has a physical beeper that is so wimpy quiet
that it is mostly silent no matter what.  Even when it is working you
have to hold your ear up close to it and then only a quiet "click"
sound can be heard from it.  I can tell it is supposed to be working
but it mostly is not effective.  But it is a physical feature of the
device and not a software configuration.

But you can never disprove the existence of something.  Only the
existence of it.  This is why Mark Twain once said, "Few things are
harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

> I asked a related question many moons ago when my bell fell inexplicably
> silent (I liked the bell then but live without it).

The name escapes my recollection but I recall there being a module
that will reroute the motherboard speaker to the sound card.  It isn't
something I want but if you like the bell then I recall it being
possible to make the bell appear on the sound system.

> I'm not going to waste any more time on it (because time is running
> short) but I recall there being yet another ringing module involved
> whose name escapes me (snd-pcsp?).

Possibly.  I don't see anything similarly named on my system.  But it
would be good to learn of it if it does exist.

Bob