Re: LVM Mirroring

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:

>>> I have not myself used LVM mirroring.  I have only used mdadm MD
>>> mirroring. This means I am fuzzy on your exact configuration.  But
>>> the above tells me that you have the root volume directly on lvm using
>>> the rootVG-rootLV volume.  Which is fine.
>>
>> [AIUI (I've never used this) LVM mirroring is like mdraid level1 but
>> instead of mirroring partitions, you're mirroring LVs.]
>
> Just a small detail of words but as I understand it lvm mirrors PVs
> (physical volumes) not LVs (logical volumes).  But this is simply
> language and words and doesn't change anything technical.

You're right!

>> Could the problem be the reverse of the earlier LVM-over-MDRAID thread
>> whereby changing "root=/dev/mapper/rootVG-rootLV" to
>> "root=/dev/mapper/rootVG/rootLV" will allow the system to boot?!
>
> Good idea. But not without a typo correction. I am sure you meant to
> say /dev/rootVG/rootLV instead because /dev/mapper/rootVG/rootLV does
> not ever exist.

Yes. I was clearly in dreamland when replying earlier!

> But I think that /dev/mapper/rootVG-rootLV will exist if anything
> does. One of the earlier discussion threads was that
> /dev/rootVG/rootLV didn't exist until udev was kicked with a reboot
> but that the /dev/mapper version was available immediately.
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/12/msg00420.html
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/12/msg00407.html

Both "/dev/mapper/rootVG-rootLV" and "/dev/rootVG/rootLV" are created
in my case (without any "manual" intervention from me). I thought that
the latter might not be created in the initramfs but it is. You can
boot using either on RHEL and Fedora so it must be possible on
Debian...