Re: Download directly to outer media than local SSD

---- On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:25:01 -0800 Hormatzhan Yiltiz<hyiltiz@gmail.com> wrote ----

 > I'd like to download some big .iso files, and I use SSD drive.Some would recommend avoid writing big stuff (in this case, about 40G!) to SSD if possible.
 >  I have other removable hard disk(s), and if I simply choose the target directory to the removable hard disk, can I assure myself I am not writing download data (including the cache/buff* stuff) to my SSD?
 >  Does this differ when using wget and web-browser's download?

I'm pretty sure wget will only write to the output directory you specify (or the $PWD), but not as sure when using a browser. But from my my experience, firefox at least, it downloads to the directory you specify (when choosing "save link as") and not its "web cache" and then later just moves it over as a last step. As it downloads in firefox, you should see the filename created as a placeholder and the same filename with a .part extension in the location you specify. It writes the downloading data to the .part file then after it is completely downloaded it removes the extension.