Re: wheezy network manager and normal users

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Slavko <linux@slavino.sk> wrote:
> Dňa Sat, 05 Jan 2013 21:34:06 +0000 Dick William Thomas
> <xpd259@gmail.com> napísal:
>>>
>>> Specifically
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=696256#148
>>
>> When googling, I found loads on ubuntu bugs saying tough its a
>> "feature" but not much on debian.
>
> Yes. marking bugs as "feature", seems as last days folklore, but
> IMO it gracefully shows the developers - users relation, or better
> ignoring the users opinion :-(

My personal OS X laptop and my work Win7 laptop both have this feature.

I'm glad that NM now defaults to creating wifi connections for all
users when a wifi connection's created. I don't understand why Debian
can't simply use the same polkit solutions that Arch, Fedora, and
Ubuntu (and I'm sure other distributions) are using. One reason that's
been given (AFAIUI) is that it exposes the stored wifi passwords to
all users. I'm *infinitely* more willing to hand out my wifi password
to someone that let him/her use my laptop!