LDAP on a laptop

I've got a laptop that connects to an LDAP server for authentication.
It's currently running Ubuntu 10.04 and I'll be moving it to Wheezy once
its released.  I'm currently testing it out on a spare hard drive.

Ubuntu is configured to cache the LDAP credentials so it can be used off
the network.  I use libpam-ccreds and libnss-ldap.  It works well.

I can't get it working on Wheezy.  I've seen references to using sssd
instead of libpam-ccreds recently.  Any opinions on that?

On Wheezy I've been trying libnss-ldapd (instead of libnss-ldap) because
it seemed to work better on all my other LAN-connected LDAP clients.

Most how-to's I've found which claim to do what I want to do -- which is
use the laptop both on and off the network, using LDAP credentials --
also throw kerberos into the mix.  I'm not really sure what kerberos
adds to the solution, and I'm not currently using it.  Anybody know?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Rob