Re: Combining Icedove data

On 01/05/13 13:27, Gary Roach wrote:
I am trying to combine the information from my laptop version of Icedove
into the icedove copy on my home PC.

Inside Icedove, I keep my e-mail messages in local folders named after my username and year (for backup and archiving purposes):

    dpchrist-2011
    dpchrist-2012
    dpchrist-2013
    etc.

Using a file manager or shell and looking around under ~/.icedove, I see one folder and two files with matching basenames:

$ ls -d .icedove/yopoi36c.default/Mail/Local\ Folders/dpchrist*
.icedove/yopoi36c.default/Mail/Local Folders/dpchrist-2013
.icedove/yopoi36c.default/Mail/Local Folders/dpchrist-2013.msf
.icedove/yopoi36c.default/Mail/Local Folders/dpchrist-2013.sbd
<snip>

In this case, "yopoi36c.default" is my active Icedove profile directory.

I've found that if I simply copy those folders and files to another machine and start Icedove, the corresponding Icedove folders will automagically appear, Icedove will index the contents, and everything works.

Thankfully, the Icedove developers understand and do a good job with data forward/ backward compatibility/ migration. :-)

HTH,

David