understanding the role/relationship of the firmware and driver in case of Wi-Fi adapters

Hello,

some Wi-Fi adapters(for example Intel ipw2200 family and many Ralink
cards) require both firmware and drivers in order to operate properly.

1) As I understand, firmware is usually a closed-source binary image
provided by Wi-Fi card manufacturer?
2) What happens with the firmware when card becomes operational? I
mean by definition it should be written to device non-volatile
memory(for example flash memory), but I doubt that this is the case
for Wi-Fi adapters.. Or is it?
3) Last but not least, which aspects are controlled by Wi-Fi card
firmware and what role plays the Wi-Fi adapter driver?

regards,
Martin