equivs-build of i386 deb on amd64

Hi,

I am trying to build a deb with Architecture: i386 on a system that runs amd64.
Funny thing is I did it on Dec.18:

But I cannot repeat it! As soon as I put Architecture: i386 in the file he says
he builds the deb but does not. Like this:

root@SDB03:/# equivs-build control
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_prep
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_install
Use of uninitialized value $dh{"FIRSTPACKAGE"} in string eq at
/usr/bin/dh_install line 143.
dh_installdocs
dh_installchangelogs
dh_compress
dh_fixperms
dh_installdeb dh_gencontrol dh_md5sums dh_builddeb

The package has been created. Attention, the package has been created in the current directory,
not in ".." as indicated by the message above!

never does the deb :-(
Can anybody build i386 debs on a amd64 system? I seem to have lost it...

Hugo