Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 13:40:02 +0100
"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Ok, I understood. But last question: Does debian make sure, that I get rid
> from the old 32-bit libs included in the old ia32-libs package or do I have to
> search them manually, to get a clean system, without double 32-bit libs?

Dateline the world:

#apt-get update
#apt-get dist-upgrade

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gtkorphan lib32v4l-0 libglade2-0 libgtk2-gladexml-perl

(here it comes, the i386 multi-arch juggernaut)

<actual list removed to avoid tedium>

9 upgraded, 197 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 83.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 118 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

And the answer to that of course is yes, so the waiting is over and the jabber
although I did enjoy reading the solutions from our German fellow users.
Some people don't like to wait, and I can understand that.

Multi-Arch is now history.

--
CK

Richard Stallman has spoken out against Ubuntu because of Canonical's
decision to integrate Amazon search results in the distribution's Dash
search.

<sic>... "If you ever recommend or redistribute GNU/Linux, please remove
Ubuntu from the distros you recommend or redistribute."