Re: APC SMT1000RMI2U and apcupsd ?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 02:58:13PM +0000, Berni Elbourn wrote:
> On 11/12/12 12:58, Darac Marjal wrote:
> >On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:50:10PM +0000, Berni Elbourn wrote:
> >>This is a 2U rack mount SmartUPS 1000 .. can anyone here confirm SMT1000RMI2U works with apscupsd on Debian?
> >
> >apcupsd SHOULD work in a limited capacity with that unit. The version in
> >Wheezy or later is best as it has udev rules for the newer devices.
> >However, while you'll get basic functionality (on-battery, low-battery
> >etc notifications), you won't get the full functionality of the UPS
> >without APC's powerchute software. This is because APC (now owned by
> >Schneider Electric) have gone back to using a proprietary (undocumented)
> >protocol called "MicroLink". Only Powerchute supports this, so if you
> >want to know how much load is on your UPS or when the battery is due to
> >fail or any of the other useful information the UPS knows, then either
> >complain to APC, or use powerchute.
> >
> ></rant>
>
> Agree with rant. Does the auto shut-down feature work with those limited features?

Yes. The UPS does do what it's supposed to, but the added management
niceties are locked away. Poor show, really.

> Easiest protest for me would be to choose another maker who does
> have a Linux client for power down. Are there any alternatives to
> APC?

Your best bet is to look here:
http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html. Select "*****" (5 stars)
from the first dropdown and you'll get a list of several UPSes whose
manufacturers have not only provided details of the protocol, but also
sample handware for the good people at NUT to test on.