Re: Tractor-feed paper (was Re: Shell prompt)

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 06:39:49AM -0800, David Guntner wrote:
> Lisi Reisz grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> > On Monday 10 December 2012 09:55:28 Chris Bannister wrote:
> >> Is it double sheeted with a carbon paper arrangement so the second sheet
> >> is a carbon copy of the original?
> >
> > I've not come across that.  I have only seen and used single "sheets".  But
> > there are many things in existence of which I have no knowledge, so ...
>
> Speaking as someone who's worked in mainframe shops (yes, mainframes
> still exist :-) ), I can tell you that most of that multipart paper is
> NCR ("no carbon required"), which is pressure-sensitive on the second,

Ahh, NCR, I remember that acronym as "National Cash Registers".
Regarding the carbon paper, that is why I said "carbon paper arrangement"
which, in my mind also, also covered the "pressure-sensitive" type. I
now see that my phrase can also mean how the carbon paper is arranged!

> third, etc., copy.  Of course either carbon or NCR paper needs to be run
> on a dot-matrix or other impact-type printer.  High-speed laser printers
> used in that environment (which do use the continuous tractor feed
> green-bar paper) won't work for multipart paper.  Well, at least not
> past the top copy... :-)

Or if you put the "pressure-sensitive" paper in the wrong way round. :)
Not looking at anyone in particular (cough ... whistle), not meaning you
David.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X