Icedove hangs on opening in Squeeze -- problem installing packages with apt-get?

I have a Lenovo R61 laptop with Squeeze newly installed.  The version of Icedove installed is 10.0.11-1, which is apparently the latest available in Squeeze.

When I open Icedove -- or try to -- the main window opens, followed by a smaller window asking for the password for one of my e-mail accounts.  That is as far as I can get; I cannot enter the password nor cancel entering it.  The only way to close it is to hit the 'X' in the upper right corner of the screen, whereupon after a few seconds delay I get the window saying that Icedove is not responding and giving me the choice of continuing with it or terminating it.  As this phenomenon immobilizes the whole computer I have no choice but to terminate.  I also tried opening in safe mode but it made no difference.

Another phenomenon occurs whenever I install packages with apt-get.  At the end of the process lines like the following appear:
                                 -------------------------------------
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686
cryptsetup: WARNING: target sda8_crypt has a random key, skipped
gzip: stdout: No space left on device
E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 gzip 1
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686
dpkg: error processing initramfs-tools (--configure):
                                      Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for python support ...
configured to not write apport reports
 initramfs-tools
sda8_crypt is the /tmp directory which is secured with a random key.

The rest I do not understand, except that it indicates to me that whenever I run apt-get install or dist-upgrade something is not working properly.

All comments, suggestions and help gratefully received.

Ken Heard