Need help recovering hard drive

Greetings;

One of my hard drives quit working, and as luck would have it, just before the scheduled backup! So I need to recover some info that has been updated/added since the last backup.

First, is there any thing I can do to get the system to mount that drive even with errors? As it is right now I get error messages at boot time and the drive isn't recognized. Apparently doesn't make any difference whether the drive is on controller 0 or 1 or is master or slave.

Second, is there any program that I can use to get data of off that drive?

TIA for any help!
Dennis