Re: Copy 2 partitions to .img file

If you just copy the first 4GB, which includes the partition table,
and put it on a 4GB drive, you will have a bogus partitions table (I
think). Maybe it will just "work" as long as you don't try to make new
partitons.  Alternately, I don't know what it would take to repair it
although I'm sure it can be done.  Thus the alternative of dumping
each partition may be safer.

However, note that if you dump each partition, you will have to deal with
putting a correct partition table and MBR on the new drive.  If the
drive is bootable, this will probably involve re-running the boot
loader install process.