Re: Webcam Problem

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 03:25:32PM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> Debian 64 bit Wheezy/sid in a VM on my Dell Laptop. I know that he
> webcam works in Linux.
>
> When I attempt to apply Camera default settings in Kamerka I get the
> message 'Could not connect to V4L device!'
>
> I have found
> http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Installing_proprietary_firmware but am
> not sure about implementing the instructions.
>
> I have found lspci -v | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
> VirtualBox Graphics Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

OK. You're barking up the wrong tree here. This isn't your webcam; this
is your graphics card. In other words, that's your video-out device, not
your video-in device.

Try the following page http://wiki.debian.org/Webcam. In particular,
note the parts that say "If you're using a stock kernel, everything
should be okay" and "EasyCam is a utility to automate webcam
installation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EasyCam";.

Hope that points you in the right direction.