Re: Problem With exim4 smtp authenication

"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> writes:

> I have edited passwd and entered server:user:password exactly as
> described in exim4_passwd_client and run dpkg-reconfigure
> exim4-config.  When I try to send mail using exim4 and then tail
> /var/log/exim4/mainlog I find authenication has failed.  I have double
> checked every entry.  They are all correct and work with both iceape
> and the android mail client on my HP Touchpad.
>
> Any one have a clue why this doesn't work?
>
> Tom
exim4 looks up the ip address of the target server, then reverse
translates back to its ip name to look up in passwd - which may not be the same as the name
you are using in the configuration.

My entries to use the gmail smtp are:

smtp.googlemail.com:myid@gmail.com:mypassword
*.googlemail.com:myid@gmail.com:mypassword