Re: Memory errors on new memory in new system

From: Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com>
> Last weekend I put together a new box to replace the one that has been locking up repeatedly. The components are:
>     Gigabyte 970A-DS3 MB
>     8GB (2x4GB) Patriot G3 RAM

When I purchase memory, I *always* use the memory vendor's memory selection tool on their web site to find compatible memory modules.

Your original post provides the motherboard make and part number, but not the memory part number.

Here are the results using Patriot's "Memory Finder":

Results for GA-970A-DS3 (rev. 1.0)

Recommended Memory

	PSD38G1600K
PSD38G1600KH
Patriot Signature DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) CL11 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DIMM Kit
Patriot Signature DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) CL11 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DIMM Kit with heatshield
Download Specs

Other Compatible Memory

	PSD38G1600K
PSD38G1600KH
Patriot Signature DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) CL11 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DIMM Kit
Patriot Signature DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) CL11 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DIMM Kit with heatshield
Download Specs

	PSD32G16002
PSD32G16002H
Patriot Signature DDR3 2GB CL11 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 2 Rank DIMM
Patriot Signature DDR3 2GB CL11 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 2 Rank DIMM with Heatshield
Download Specs

What is the part number on your memory modules?

Is it listed above?

If not, return your memory modules and buy one of the above.

If so and you're tried two sets of memory modules, then I'd suggest trying another motherboard.

I have encountered situations where memory modules recommended by the manufacturer worked on one motherboard but fail intermittently on another motherboard. My solution was to leave the modules in the motherboard where they worked (I was years beyond returning them).

HTH,

David