Dual boot with OS X and Wheezy.

Trying to dual boot OSX and Wheezy on a late 2008 Macbook running
Mountain Lion.  Following steps found on the web, I first created an
empty partition using OSX's Disk Utility - 80 GB for OSX and 80GB free
for Wheezy.  However, when I reached the partitioning step in the
Wheezy install, it id'd the free space as 113GB, which is the
remaining space on the entire disk.  In other words, it seems that
Wheezy is not recognizing the OSX partitioning structure.  I'm afraid
that if I simply partition that 113GB space, I will have messed up the
partition structure for OSX.

I hope I'm making sense here.  Any pointers, steps, hints, greatly
appreciated.