Re: No sound on new Wheezy system

On 12/01/2012 12:47 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I have a newly installed Wheezy system on a freshly built AMD64 system with a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 motherboard with built-in sound. Aptitude shows that alsa-utils is installed. Jack and pulseaudio are not installed. I also just installed sox. If I run 'play filename' then play runs and displays the file info and shows its progress through the file. Unfortunately the is no sound from the speakers. I have tried to run alsamixer to verify that the sound is not muted and the volume is sufficiently high. Unfortunately, running alsamixer with no arguments yields:

    cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument

I have not passed any arguments on the command line and none should be required. How can it say that there is an invalid argument? I have tried running both 'play' and 'alsamixer' as a normal user and as root.

When I run lspci, it shows:

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan HDMI Audio [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]

What else should I check? What other output would help diagnose this problem. I am used to sound on Debian "just working" so I am not sure what to look for when it doesn't.

Marc
Sorry about replying to my own post, but...

I am using LXDE as my DE. I added the volume control to my panel and verified that it is NOT muted. But the sound is all the way down and will not let me increase it. Something must be misconfigured, but I don't know what. Please help!

Marc