No sound on new Wheezy system

I have a newly installed Wheezy system on a freshly built AMD64 system with a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 motherboard with built-in sound. Aptitude shows that alsa-utils is installed. Jack and pulseaudio are not installed. I also just installed sox. If I run 'play filename' then play runs and displays the file info and shows its progress through the file. Unfortunately the is no sound from the speakers. I have tried to run alsamixer to verify that the sound is not muted and the volume is sufficiently high. Unfortunately, running alsamixer with no arguments yields:

    cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument

I have not passed any arguments on the command line and none should be required. How can it say that there is an invalid argument? I have tried running both 'play' and 'alsamixer' as a normal user and as root.

When I run lspci, it shows:

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan HDMI Audio [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]

What else should I check? What other output would help diagnose this problem. I am used to sound on Debian "just working" so I am not sure what to look for when it doesn't.

Marc