Re: samsung or android device causing crash?

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 07:27:59PM -0500, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> I've been having occasional lock ups.
> The screen will blank out like X has crashed and I see a tty login,
> but still see a mouse pointer, but can not type to login, and the
> mouse pointer will be stuck.
> Can't get any input to machine with keyboard (like to switch to another
> tty even), etc., so I reset or do a hard shutdown and reboot.
> I dig into dmesg, and the only common thread I'm seeing is that it
> happens when my Samsung Galaxy is plugged into the machine to recharge
> it.
> I'll see something about a new usb device connecting, and unable to
> enumerate device, or some such thing.
> I really have a hard time making sense of dmesg, anyway.
> Mostly I think I'm just seeing what happens when I reboot the machine,
> locating drives, usb controller, blah blah.
> I don't see anything that says "error", and there are no human-readable
> time signatures...Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing.
> The usb connection to the phone is so iffy and/or fickle, I remove the sdcard and
> use a cardreader to transfer stuff.
> Sometimes it beeps like it's freshly connected just bumping the table
> (loose cord thing), incessantly. So, I'm wondering if it's the phone causing the problems.
> If it isn't, I'd like to know how to better diagnose this matter.
> I'm running Squeeze, updated generally a couple of times/month,
> on AMD64, 4x2.8ghz, with 16gb ram.

Okay, I've looked in /var/log/kern.log
I think I found relevant stuff just before this latest lock-up.
I grabbed a whole bunch of it, mentioning CD-ROM, usb mass storage device and Samsung
(it's a phone, not an optical drive).
I must have grabbed 3 pages of stuff that seemed relevant. A lot of
stuff, so, rather than paste it all into a mail to the list, I pasted it on my

The last line is when it's coming back on/rebooted, so everything above
is just before it locked up and I reset the machine.

I hope that helps. This keeps happening, not daily, but fairly
frequently, now, while I'm working. Not good. Very annoying

Any and all assistance, as always, appreciated.

all tony, all the time!