Re: fsck -fvy ?

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 12:58:38 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your reply. I got file system inconsistency check and
>> the prompt to enter the root password to get system maintenance. At
>> there , I issued fsck and then reboot.
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> Did you try holding down the shift key to make the GRUB menu visible?
>

> --

Remember to hold the shift key at the very beginning of the boot -
black screen.  If you actually see a debian splash-screen (if you have
a gui front end on)  or any of the startup lines for debian, you are
too late.

You could also try using a live disc and mounting the hard drive
partition and check the rcN.d folders (where N= a number from 0 to 6)
look for the Sxxomcd link and remove it (where xx= some number from 00
to 99).  This used to work for almost all services, but it is a legacy
system that works on fewer things all the time..

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org