Re: IA64 or AMD64?

On 9/23/2012 8:14 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag, 21. September 2012 schrieb Stan Hoeppner:

>> That's how it's supposed to work, but rarely does.  Most people these
>> days go straight for the mailing list hoping to save themselves the
>> time/effort of doing research.  This is what the OP did in this case,
>> which shoots your argument down entirely.
>
> And how do you actually know that?

Personal observation, but numbers are list dependent.  But I'll revise
"most" to "many" for the general case, as I don't think it's over 50% of
people doing this, but the number is far more than a "few".

> I agree it seems likely. But maybe Mauro made some effort?

The answer is simply too easy to find.  One click from the Debian home
page (Ports/Architectures), and the first Google hit for "IA64 AMD64"
yields the answer.

I didn't lop his head for being incompetent or lazy--many such folks
around.  I lopped his head because he should have known better, given
the caliber of system he's working on.

>> WRT my attitude driving people away from FLOSS, apparently you've never
>> heard of a guy named Linus' Torvalds and his behavior.  I'm absolutely
>> tame compared to Linus:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g
>
> 1. I do not think that Linus is the best example to follow, just cause he
> started the whole Linux kernel thing.

You misunderstood.  I said he's much worse.  Given that far more people
listen to Linus than me, he'd be driving far more people away from
FLOSS, if this theory were true.  Obviously it's not.

> 2. He attacked a company, namely NVidia.

In this video, yes.

> He didn´t attack anyone
> personally.

Not in this video.  Apparently you've not seen his colorful "attacks" on
individuals on LKML, calling people or their coding efforts "stupid",
"dumb", "insane", or his favorite, "crap".  He's far more abrasive than
me on a regular basis.  I only lop heads on rare occasions.  What Linus
and I do have in common is that he doesn't apologize for being blunt,
brutally honest, and occasionally abrasive, and neither do I.

It's been a long time since I lopped heads like this on debian-user.
This may be the first of this level of abrasiveness.  It's worth noting
that I predicated my post with the fact that I was going to be harsh,
and I explained why I was being harsh.  Some people "got it" and some
didn't.  Those that didn't overreacted due to their own predispositions,
personal demons.  Frankly I was a bit surprised by this.  If I had
literally done something like run over the OP's dog intentionally, or
clobbered him with a 2x4, I could understand this reaction.  But not
over a head lopping list post...

--
Stan