Re: IA64 or AMD64?

On 9/21/2012 10:06 AM, Camaleón wrote:

> Stan, just my personal opinion but I think there's no need (and no gain)
> to say this on the list. We all can think whatever we want -and we can be
> wrong or right as we don't have all the details over the table- but it's
> rather discourteous to tell a user about what you estimate his/her skills
> are or aren't. That's simply out of place.

I disagree.  This list, as with most others, is not to be used as a
primary technical support resource.  People should be making at least a
cursory effort to search for information before asking here.

People in general, and especially those with systems of the caliber
mentioned in this thread, should have enough experience, competence, and
where-with-all to search before asking.

As I said in my opening, I was likely being harsh.  But as Patton said,
"Give it to 'em loud and dirty.  That way it sticks."  Maybe this thread
will remind people to do at least a little basic research before asking
simple questions.  When people ask such questions here, it is an insult
to the list members, as the OP is simply being lazy, asking us to do the
research for him/her.  I would think most of us have better things to do
than answer the same easy questions ad infinitum.

> I know that your comments are always in this line, thus I'm not surpised,
> but maybe others are not aware of your peculiar "writing style".

It's not writing style but attitude.  My attitude is that people should
be self reliant.  Only when they search and can't find an answer should
they ask on a mailing list.  Especially in this case, when the answer is
so damn easy to find, literally clicking one link on the Debian home
page and reading the subsequent page.

--
Stan