Re: IA64 or AMD64?

On 9/20/2012 8:43 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> Why do you assume he's doing it for work?  If he said something about
> being an experienced sysadmin, I missed it.  This could easily be a box
> he bought as the n'th owner or from ebay or something.

The noise level of a DL580 is 52 dBA.  99.999% of people will not
tolerate this noise level, continuously, in their home, unless it
resides in the basement or a dedicated compute room.  It draws about
400-500 watts continuously at idle, up to 900 at load.  99.999% of
people will not tolerate this on the home electric bill.  Additionally,
it requires a 4 post rack/cabinet.  99.99999% if people don't have nor
will they ever install a 4 post rack in their home.

Those that would have this in the home are hardware freaks.  I have some
experience here.  Note my email domain.  Hardware freaks will know
everything about such a box before they acquire it for home use.

Thus, it's very unlikely that this is a home use scenario.

> Everybody has to start somewhere <snip>

Yes, but people don't start with a quad socket DL580.  This is analogous
to learning to drive in a Porsche 911 turbo.  I doubt this was a 2nd
hand purchase, but if it was, and if it's in his home, then the OP has
more money than grey matter, and simply likes acquiring expensive toys
that he doesn't know how to use.

Regardless of all that above, he could have found the answer more
quickly and more easily via Google or simply hitting the home page and
clicking the ports link.

--
Stan