Re: Installation

On 09/19/2012 12:29 PM, Camaleón wrote:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:05:32 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

On 09/19/2012 11:58 AM, Camaleón wrote:

I'm not sure how you define "from scratch".

Then we have a problem here, Houston.

A Windows installation "from scratch" is when you go to the shop and pay
$250 USD for a copy of Windows 7, return to your home, proceed with the
installation and... oh, surprise! Is that a BSOD? >>;-)

Leaving the rest for later, but:

In that case, would an official downloaded-straight-from-Microsoft install
ISO be enough for "from scratch" for your purposes?

No, and let me explain it.

In order to "mimic" a real newbie situation (because no untechie user even
knows what an ISO image is)

But they do know what a CD or DVD is; the "ISO" part is just how I got the
CD/DVD in the first place, and the "straight from Microsoft" is intended to make
sure that it's the same configuration as what you'd get from a purchased,
pre-made disc.

For that matter, at this point I'm not sure we're trying to "mimic" a newbie
situation; I, at least, am currently just trying to understand what the install
procedures of the different OSes are, and how they compare to one another.
Hypothetical usage scenarios are a level beyond that; we were there before, but
if you'd like a programming analogy, we've now entered a subroutine to read in
more information, and we won't be trying to use that information until we return
to our calling context.

you can't simply obviate the fact that Windows "bare" installations are
performed by means of ready-made DVDs and this is what the user gets when
he/she buys a Windows 7 box from a retailer shop.

...I think I must not be understanding you correctly.

Are you saying that there's a practical difference between the install process
when installing from a DVD which you bought in a store and the install process
when installing from a DVD which someone (could be you, could be someone else)
burned from a downloaded ISO, of the exact same configuration as that
store-bought DVD?

Because to be frank, that sounds ludicrous.

Or are you saying that there *are* differences between the downloadable
straight-from-Microsoft ISOs and the store-bought DVD images? That might be
possible, though I certainly wouldn't expect it to be true; if it *is* what you
mean, can you identify any?

Or are you saying that the the proper definition of a "from scratch" Windows
install *includes* the process of going to the store (or going online) and
buying the install disc? Because that also sounds ludicrous, at least in the
context of comparing the Windows install procedure with the Debian one.

Also, re "bare" installation: If memory serves, the Windows install process is
different depending on whether the hard drive you're installing on already has a
bootable OS or not. (The most common example of the latter I've seen is when
it's completely blank, or at the least, has no partitions.)

At the very least, with a no-partitions hard drive, the Windows install disc
won't present the "press any key to boot from CD" timeout message, and will
proceed to boot from the disc automatically. (Plus, most computers I've seen
will automatically bypass trying to boot to the hard drive when it's blank, thus
avoiding the need to understand how to boot from CD.)

Is that a big enough difference, in your opinion, that I should take the trouble
to test and document both install processes?

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger