Re: Installation

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:52:14 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

>>> So we have an upper boundary. Do we have a lower boundary? I think
>>> that might be part of what this discussion is (or should have been)
>>> trying to arrive at.
>>
>> No, we don't. There are no upper no lower limits other than a user
>> wanting to learn and showing interest in what he/she is doing.
>
> And what about the users who *don't* want to learn, they just want to
> have and use a working computer?

(...)

As I already mentioned, they should go for something that suit their
needs, like a tablet or something prebuilt that provides the less hassle
to their minds. Linux (as we know) is not for them (or yes, but then it
has to be properly packaged, managed, delivered and supported by Google
or any other company).

>>> Depending on the Windows version, I'm not sure you do need to know
>>> that, at least not if you're willing to accept the defaults rather
>>> than clicking on "Advanced" buttons.
>
>> I have installed different Windows versions from scratch along my life
>> (I remember starting from 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, Windows 2000 Server,
>> Windows XP and Windows XP 64-bits Pro).
>>
>> The requirements have not changed that much (can't tell for Vista and
>> 7)
>
> Ah. That could be the source of confusion.

I really doubt it. And I doubt it because some things do not change over
the time which means you still have to know how to partition a hard
drive, how to boot from CD or what a driver is ;-)

> I know that when I first had to install Vista, I was pleasantly
> surprised by how much faster and more straightforward it was, compared
> to the familiar XP install; the 7 install process is similar IIRC, and
> from my one attempt at installing it, I think 8 is even simpler.

Are you sure that you installed Vista and 7 completely _from scratch_?
Because Windows OEM installations are always -regardless the version-
quick and take little time but we are not talking here about this, you
know...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón