Re: What is playing videos in web browsers?

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
>
> Chrome is the nonfree version.  It is nonfree because it includes
> Flash and probably other nonfree things.  Chromium is the free version
> and does not have Flash nor any other nonfree thing embedded.  That is
> the specific difference between Chrome and Chromium.  Chromium will
> use a Flash plugin just like Firefox will use a Flash plugin.

Which plugin is recommended?  Adobe doesn't support it anymore, and the
last time I tried gnash, it didn't work acceptably well.  Lightspark
says it's experimental.

Why can't we just use mplayer to watch videos?  It plays them just fine
when downloaded with flashgot, and I don't want or need videos inside
the browser, it's a very awkward thing to have.  With mplayer, I have
key bindings I can use which I otherwise don't have.

> Chromium is packaged and available for Debian from the main Debian
> repositories.

Well, I've purged chromium because it's too slow.  It takes a second or
two to open a new tab even when only 4 or so are already open and
something like that before that to display the contents of its window
when I move to the desktop it's on.  Perhaps it'll take like 2 minutes
once 60 tabs are open?  Seamonkey doesn't have these problems.

--
Debian testing amd64