Re: [OT] Re: workforce 645 printer can't find other network assets (SOLVED SORT OF)

On 09/14/2012 09:19 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:20:30 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

On 09/13/2012 08:58 AM, Camaleón wrote:
(...)

Next time, instead giving your money to Epson that shows no interest in
Linux, consider twice another alternatives (HP has a nice job here ;-)
)

I gave up. I took the Epson back an traded it in for an HP Office Jet
Pro 8600.
Ouch... I didn't want to sound that contundent O:-)

But you know what? Well done. That's the only way Epson (or any other
manufacturer that claims "not supporting Linux") will learn the lesson.

I've had minimal trouble installing the thing on both Linux and XP
systems. Everything works. I still can't get the Win2K system to work.
Does anyone know where you can get print drivers for this. I have the
HP 8600  and my XP laptop connected wireless to the  router. All other
systems are etherneted. The Win2K system can't seem to find the printer.
Gary... Windows 2000 is now unsupported by Microsoft and hardware
manufacturers do not usually provide drivers for Windows versions that
have reached their Live Cycle.
Actually, I found a driver for the Win2K system on the HP web site. It works for printing which is all I really want for that machine.
But (as always :-P) Google provides a hint you can try:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/i-need-an-hp-officejet-pro-8600-printer-driver-for-win2000/td-p/1836087

Thank you all for your support.
You're welcome.

Greteings,

The last post for this subject. Be advised that the Officejet Pro 8600 works great and was easy to set up on all of my systems. I had to download a linux driver from HP's web site but it was easy to find and easy to install. Two glitches. The paper feed won't work with Staples Photo paper. It works with Epson and HP paper fine. Doing the droop test over the edge of a table showed that the Saples paper is about twice as stiff as the others. There is a spring loaded deflector in the paper path that is supposed to deflect the paper upward as it comes out of the tray. The stiffer paper won't make the bend. The other problem has to do with network recognition and is probably a Samba problem. I'm starting a new thread for that one.

See you all and thanks.

Gary R.