Re: rigmarole about debian and radeon

first I want to thank you for your help Camaleón

>Great, I just wanted to note that a separate "/home" is not required.

everyone has his believes and little inconsistencies;)

>So first problem in KDE: HDMI output is not always enabled.
>In what way "breaks"? Please describe what happens, what's what you see.

yes that's the case. The kde Monitor configuration tool sometimes does not
recognize the HDMI device and just blank fields are displayed. My little VGA
Monitor then becomes the main display and the only one stated in the kde tool.
The HDMI Monitor does not start  at all or becomes the extended virtual
screen. On boot-up only the middle part of my big HDMI screen is used and the
login screen blinks slowly

>First problem in GNOME: screen resolution is wrong.

>Second problem in GNOME: Refresh rate is wrong.

>Both issues (with KDE and GNOME) can be due to the static values you have
>defined at the "xorg.conf" file. What happens when you rename this file
>(e.g., to something like "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.old") and boot the system?

I don't think there is something like a static config file. I'll show you the
ls output of /etc/X11

ls -p  /etc/X11
app-defaults/  default-display-manager  rgb.txt  xinit/  Xreset
Xresources/  Xsession.d/       XvMCConfig
cursors/       fonts/                   X        xkb/    Xreset.d/  Xsession
Xsession.options  Xwrapper.config

>In Squeeze, the VGA 3D capabilities are not required unless you are using
>some kind of window compositing (such Compiz or KWin) which benefits from
>it but in any case, enabling direct rendering wouldn't do any harm while
>can speed up the desktop

direct rendering sounds good. After solving my display problems you are
invited to show me how to enable it ...
3D is quite nice too but not really necessary now...

greetings
Boris