Re: Migrate to 3TB disk

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:55:58 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Vi, 14 sep 12, 15:20:26, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>
>> Now currently my machine has two small (750G) disks that it stores the
>> bulk of its files on, and one tiny (250G) IDE disk that it boots from.
>
> Tiny? That's almost as big as my entire storage (2 x 160 GiB).

Yeah.  I still remember when that was a huge disk.  I even remember the
time that 5 megabytes was a big hard disk.  I'm just trying to keep up
with the times, without resorting to terms like a very very very very
large disk :)

>> (1c) file and partition size limits among ext2, 3, and 4. (my6 ext3's
>> were migrated from ext2, so they may share the limits of the original
>> ext2fs)
>
> For partitions in the TiB size you will definitely want ext4 or xfs as
> ext3 fsck times would be horrible.

Which probably means building a new file system and copying all the
files.  Even if it's possible to upgrade in place, it would  probably
mean preserving the existing low-level structure, like 512-byte sectors
instead of 4K sectors.

Anybody have any input as to whether ext4 or xfs would offer better long-
term reliability?

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Thanks