Re: Installation

On Tuesday 11 September 2012 20:29:42 Weaver wrote:
> On Tue, September 11, 2012 7:43 am, lee wrote:
> >>
> >> Exactly, but that's the majority market and I don't see anything wrong
> >> woth aiming for that.
> >
> > Now that is distorting the discussion, isn't it? ;)
>
> No, it isn't.
> Why the average end user tries to install Debian and gives up, or doesn't
> even try in the first place, is because a lack of knowledge creates
> uncertainty and doubt and, in the end, rejection.
>
> I am advocating the elimination of that lack of knowledge.
>
> Many people would be looking at the number of downloads as an indication
> of uptake percentage.
> Many people would be wrong.
>
> Just a little bit of information could change that massively.
> Regards,
>
> Weaver
>  --
> "It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its
> government." -- Thomas Paine

May I but in on this??  The question at issue is whether a newbie could
install Debian without help, if I have understood correctly.

There was a time when one could install a default system just by accepting the
defaults, i.e. by just pressing enter. I know someone who did it.

Since Squeeze I think that Debian has removed itself from this market.  The
main repository and kernel contain only FLOSS software.  I.e. many drivers
are missing and have to be separately installed.  This is beyond a total
newbie, and I think could not be rendered easily attainable by attaching a
set of instructions.  So sadly, I have come to the conclusion that I must
recommend e.g. Linux Mint if any newbie who wishes to self-install were to
ask me for my opinion.

I have, incidentally, had to answer a question about partitions during a
Windows install!  (XP I think.)

I apologise to anyone who feels that my use of English is pompous.  I think
that to try and talk in baby talk is insulting to those for whom English is a
second language (or third or fourth!).  Not to mention the fact that I simply
don't know which words I can expect someone else to know.  Much better in my
opinion (and it is only a matter of opinion) to talk properly to foreigners
and children.  How else can they enlarge their vocabularies?

I am more than willing to explain anything that I have said that someone finds
incomprehensible.  And if someone is hesitant about asking "in public",
please feel free to email me off list to ask.

Lisi