Re: defoma and its font path

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:59:11 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> TrueType fonts can be simply copied/pasted into one of the available
>> font path folders and that should be all.
>
> It isn't that simple.

It is for the majority of applications.

> With what you can get from dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config, the
> fonts don't look too great and they look really awful in emacs-frames.

(...)

This can be a corner case that needs from manual intervention.

For instance, I also had to create a "~/.fonts.conf" so Firefox does a
proper font replacement but this kind of tweaks are not the norm and
TrueType fonts are detected by the system and applications without a
hitch.

> It's arguable whether there should be some more options given by
> fontconfig-config, including the ability to set user-specific defaults.

It's always difficult to document the special cases :-)

> --- On a side note, the tendency of splitting configurations into
> numerous little files really should be stopped. It only makes it harder
> and harder to find out what's going on :(

Now it's called "being pluggable", we have to live with that (yes, it's
quite annoying).

> The Debian pages I could find about this weren't very good.

I find the wiki page really good. Of course, it cannot detail all of the
possible configurations.

> BTW, is that only me, or does it become increasingly difficult to keep
> a Debian system configured the way you want to because things become
> ever more cryptic and hidden?

It's not just you but I find is something generalized nowadays in the
Linux ecosystem not juts Debian.

> Or is that only due to hard- and software becoming more powerful and
> complex?

This can also affect to harden things, yes.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón