Re: Installation

Am Samstag, 8. September 2012 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:37:55 -0700, Weaver wrote:
> > I know how hard it can be to see the forest when you are too close to
> > the trees, so I thought I would re-post something I put up in another
> > forum where Miguel de Icaza's recent communication was being
> > discussed and in answer to Vaughan-Nicholl's recent article of
> > semi-acceptance. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > The most 'untechie' person on the planet can use any Linux
> > distribution once it is installed.
>
> (...)
>
> > The reason they don't is the install procedure.
>
> (...)
>
> I think it's not that easy.
>
> First, because "untechie" users neither have to install Windows nor
> MacOS as both usually come along with the computer in a pre-installed
> form thus they only have to provide some basic data.
>
> And secondly (and most important, IMO) once the Linux system has been
> installed, configured and ready to use there's still the problem with
> applications. You only have to tell "untechies" that they cannot
> install Photoshop CS[whatever] and their response (98% of the time)
> will be something like "what kind of crap is this?" ;-)
>
> Linux is more like an intense mental activity that requires from your
> attention (and high doses of patience and interest) and not all the
> people is ready/looking for that.

Well I do see more and more that there are really cool applications for
Linux.

But sure, someone who doesn´t want to try anything with a different name
and GUI than the stuff he is used too, but not be easy to convince.

Just as I don´t give a sh* about Adobe software except for flash where its
still needed to play web videos.

I quite much agree to the installation stuff.

I put Linux on the laptop I bought with my father for my father. He used
Firefox and Thunderbird and some crappy photo management software.

I put KDE on it plus Iceweasel, Icedove and Digikam as applications. And
each a button for internet on and off (this Debian Lenny installation is
using HFC USB based ISDN adapter for accessing the net, thats why I am
reluctant to upgrade to Squeeze or Wheezy, cause I have the gut feeling
that ISDN on Squeeze or Wheezy is quite some fiddling again.)

Well that just works.

So I also agree that it somewhat depends on the applications, on games for
some as well as on the willingness to try a different application for the
same tasks.

As for Adobe Photoshop GIMP and possibly even more so Krita are very
interesting alternatives IMHO. But then what do I know about Photoshop…