Graphical screen multiplexer (VNC)

Hi,

I use a lot the program "screen" which is very useful to make
calculations in the background. I use it with matlab. For example I
run matlab in a screen terminal. If I kill the ssh connexion, matlab
is still running in the background. I can check the calculation again
using screen -R. I use it to check the status of the calculations from
a remote computer.

I would like to have something similar that could be used with
graphical applications ex. Comsol. Which is the best option? VNC? How
would you do it? I saw the package "tightvncserver" That is what I
should use? I do not want a full X server running all the time when I
do not need that feature. I am also concern about security issues with
VNC.

Thanks,
Dan