Re: Re: Preseed for Wheezy - Example Help

Tom,

Thank you for your response.

> 1) You're setting yourself for a problem if you use
> "debconf-get-selections --installer" to create a
> preseed file against the recommendations of the
> d-i developers and you shouldn't use
> "debconf-get-selections".

I would like to understand the reason.

> 2) There's a wheezy example [a]. I haven't checked
> what differences there are, if any, between it and
> the squeeze one.
> a. http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/example-preseed.txt

It 'looks' better but I don't know much about the content.

> 3) You'll only have the packages installed by d-i listed in
> "debconf-get-selections --installer". "dpkg --get-selections"
> on the old box will list your current packages.

I did not see much difference between the two output files (with and
without --installer) other than specifc content.
Is there a way to use the output of "dpkg --get-selections" to automate
the new configuration?

> 4) You won't have You can use "list-devices disk",
> "list-devices partition", shell commands, and
> "debconf-set" ";-separated" in "d-i partman/early_command string"
> to select a specific disk.

This will take some exersizing to figure out the meaning.

ray