Re: [OT] Will upcoming Debian 8 release default to XFCE for the CD media?

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:37:01 +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:

> On 9 August 2012 15:24, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> So, as far as I understand -and since this new change- the only option
>> to install a DE from the first CD image (and no network link) will be
>> just XFCE and people wanting to get GNOME right after the installation
>> finishes will have to either a) get the new ISO image (bigger) or b)
>> using external repositories when installing -which requires a
>> good/stable connection.
>
> A lot of people have been using XFCE already, so the decision may have
> come from the package survey info.

Mmm... let's say what the numbers say:

http://popcon.debian.org/by_inst

#rank name                            inst  vote   old recent no-files (maintainer)
1054  gnome-core                     39084     0     0     0 39084 (Debian Gnome Maintainers)
3036  xfce4                           8480     0     1     0  8479 (Debian Xfce Maintainers)
3087  kde-standard                    7990     0     0     0  7990 (Debian Qt/kde Maintainers)
3692  openbox                         5503  2313  2697   491     2 (Nico Golde)
4399  kde-full                        3841     0     0     0  3841 (Debian Qt/kde Maintainers)
4535  lxde-common                     3581  1513  1741   326     1 (Debian Lxde Maintainers)

It seems that gnome-core is the most installed (of course, as it has been
the default option and most users get just "the default") then it comes
xfce4, kde4, openbox and lxde.

Votes go for openbox and lxde.

But nowadays, how reliable/confident can be the numbers coming from PopCon?
I have never installed nor make use of it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón