Re: [OT] secure passwords (was Re: is it rational to close the 139 port)

On 7/31/2012 10:51 AM, Mike McClain wrote:

>     If a password is any place but in your head I question its
> security

Agreed.

>     Take a name and a number out of your childhood that you'll
> remember forever like your first pet and the first phone number
> you memorized, scrambled together. For instance: Spottie and 765-4321,
> becomes S7p6o5t4t3i2e1. Now throw in a little punctuation:
> ..S7p6o5t4t3i2e1!! and you have a password that's personal, easy to
> remember and quite difficult to crack. Don't take my word for it,
> take your password to GRC.com or another password checker on the web
> and see for yourself.

Disagreed.  Too complicated.  E.g.

GRC says: 2.43 billion centuries to crack @ 100 trillion guesses/sec.
Length is the key to strong passwords, not complication.  The Sun will
turn into a Red Giant and destroy the solar system in ~4 billion years,
so this pwd will survive the end of the world, and possibly the end of
the universe.  And yet it's so simple to create and remember.

Always practice the K.I.S.S. principle.

--
Stan