Re: Loadlin and Squeeze kernel 2.6.32

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:34:01 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 31 Jul 2012 at 10:56:09 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes, I read about it. But this warning has to be new or at least I
>> > don't recall GRUB legacy showing this notice when you were going to
>> > install GRUB into a partition instead the MBR :-?
>>
>> "I'm demonizing them" should've been "I'm NOT demonizing them"...
>>
>> I have no idea why the grub developers have decided to label the
>> installation to a PBR a bad thing given that it works just as well (or
>> as badly, depending on your point of view) with grub2 as grub1.
>
> Section 3.4 of
>
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
>
> discusses the issues and offers a recommendation.

Which completely differs from their last doc:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/grub.html#Installing-GRUB-natively

> Also, message #16 at
>
>    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=542424
>
> touches on the reason why there is now a more visible warning.

He! I have to solidarize with the bug reporter >:-)

>      > With grub-legacy it's exactly the same. We just decided to make
>      > it more clear in grub2 that blocklists aren't that great.

So finally it discloses as a simple "recommendation". Fine then. The
warning also states that using blocklists is the only way in some
disk layouts.

> The proposal to introduce the warning may be seen here:
>
>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-05/msg00004.html

***
This patch improves error messages in grub-setup, and adds a few
warnings when requested to install in odd layouts.
***

I wonder what they consider an "odd layout". Four primary partitions
and the bootloader installed at the first boot sector of the second
partition, for instance? I hope no :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón