Re: Printers using free software only

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:43:13 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 04:51:11PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> I just wanted to point a scenario where the jump to a PDF filter as the
>> default backend can have its troubles and not be nor as good nor as
>> simple nor as easy as the white papers say. Companies have always
>> showed different needs than users and these "jumps" are seen
>> differently when you have to hold them as user or as admin.
>
> The understanding I got from reading Roger's post was that if you are
> using CUPS, *THEN* you are automatically using "a PDF filter paradigm"
> because it **is considered superior/"more robust"**.

That's what CUPS developers seem to claim (?) but having used PS printers
and PS backend as default for all these years, I'm a bit reluctant about
grandiloquent wordings with no more technical proofs on the superiority
of one on the proposed systems over the other.

Yes, all sources share the same adjectives: a PDF backend is "easier" but
I expect more than that to blindly rely on a new printing solution.

> That was my reading of it. Please, someone correct me if my reading of
> Roger's post is incorrect.

No, I think you're got it correctly.

> The discussion of whether it **actually is** superior/"more robust" is
> irrelevant, and better discussed with the CUPS developers. :-)

That discussion is indeed the key of this sub-thread, if not, why
touching things that already work? ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón