Re: gnome doesn't know monitor size under nvidia x server

El 2012-07-29 a las 09:26 -0800, Britton Kerin escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:24:30 -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
> >
> >> I installed all the nvidia driver kernel xserver packages, but now it
> >> seems that gnome doesn't know what size the monitor is anymore (all
> >> fonts way too large etc.)
> >>
> >> System->Preferences->Monitors looks like the attached screenshot The odd
> >> thing is the explicitly set resolution value is correct.  But there is
> >> also all the stuff about the monitor being unknown.
> >>
> >> Any help or advice how to fix this greatly appreciated, Britton
> >
> > If resolution is okay, have you tried by setting the DPI to a lower value?
>
> I think the DPI is what I want:
>
> $    xdpyinfo | grep 'dimens|resolut'
>   dimensions:    1920x1200 pixels (372x231 millimeters)
>   resolution:    131x132 dots per inch
> $

Oh, that seems a little big :-o

As you seem to be using GNOME 2, you can change DPI value from
background/apperance settings → tipography → details. I have set here a
value of 96 DPI though my nvidia card still "thinks" this value is smaller:

sm01@stt008:~$ xdpyinfo | grep -i resol
  resolution:    85x86 dots per inch

sm01@stt008:~$ grep -i edid /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (85, 86); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config

> This is the max resolution of the monitor.  The trouble I think is
> with gnome, it somehow thinks the fonts and suck need to be much
> bigger than they do (so for example I have to select a 7 point font to
> get something about what a 10 point font would normally be.
>
> > Also, attaching or uploading the complete X server log ("/var/log/
> > Xorg.0.log") will be of help.
>
> Attached.

Thanks, I am uploading the full content of the file at
"www.pastebin.com" so others can review it (this log file contains no
sensible data on it):

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Yp2nP3Fk

Greetings,