Re: systemd

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 14:05:15 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> <malicious mode on>
>>
>> I hope sysvinit is still available (and be the default option) for at
>> least a couple of years until systemd is being bright polished by the
>> rest of the other friendly linux distributions >>:-)
>>
>> </malicious mode off>
>
> Rather cheeky! :)
>
> I've been using systemd on Fedora (F15, F16, F17) and it works very
> well. I had an F15 dev box on which I had to mess around with rc.local
> to get two nfs mounts to work. I now have six F16 and six F17 boxes in
> production that are running just fine. There may have been many problems
> with systemd on F15 but I'd *guess* (and could be *completely* wrong but
> my search powers on Debian's BTS and RH's Bugzilla suck...) that on F17
> there are hardly more problems with systemd as there are problems with
> sysvinit on squeeze.

Are those boxes (where systemd is doing a good job) used as pure servers?

I ask because most of the complaints I've read about systemd do come from
server machines more that the usual desktop/mobile systems.

> Had Debian decided a year ago to transition to systemd (not taking into
> account the difficulty of surmounting the opposition of the
> "conservatives" who don't want to transition to anything, of the
> kfreebsd and hurd ports, of the anti-RH crowd, of the anti-Poettering
> crowd, etc), would it have been in a good enough state for a wheezy
> release? Yes IMHO (especially since there'd be testing/unstable testers
> and reporters to add to the Fedora users), certainly no for many
> others... Just because it was first released as a distribution default
> 14/15 months ago doesn't mean that it's hopelessly buggy.

Uff... no please. Having to deal with systemd in wheezy would have been
too much for our soft-user minds. Let us to acclimatize first to the new
paradigm of gnome-shell and delay the new "goodies" for the next 8
release or we'll go insane too soon ;-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón