Re: is it rational to close the 139 port

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 29 Jul 2012 at 13:12:31 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > > No default configuration file will ever suit everyone or fit their
> > > needs, but the Debian sshd_config doesn't seem to me to be have any
> > > insecure aspects to it.
> >
> > Some might say that "PermitRootLogin yes" default is insecure...
>
> Some might and indeed they do say it, often vociferously. But I've yet
> to see a sound reason advanced for the opinion.

Well, it is the one account that will accept remote logins (in Debian) that
exists everywhere.  It is indeed an insecure default, mostly because by
default we also allow password-based logins.

Check your logs, and verify the frequency of brute-force attempts per
username.

  Henrique Holschuh