Re: Missing rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:25:56 +0100, Gary wrote:

> While I was installing I got an error message about some missing
> firmware. Sadly, this happens to be the firmware for my WLAN card. I had
> to skip the setup of the network because of this.

Don't you have a wired card? Using the ethernet interface is more stable/
reliable than using wireless, even more when installing an OS.

Also, remember that only WEP encryption is available when installing
Squeeze.

> So the first step is getting the firmware for the WLAN card. I've seen a
> couple of suggestions for this. Either $ apt-get install
> firmware-realtek
> or
> $ apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
>
> Actually, neither of those work because the packages aren't in the
> debian-6.0.5-amd64-DVD-1.iso (and hence not on the DVD I burned).
>
> Obviously I can't use the network at this point, so I'm stuck with
> getting it off a CD or DVD. I'm guessing one or both packages are in one
> of the other isos? How can I find out which one(s)? Is there a way of
> installing the package without downloading a whole new .iso?

All of your above concerns are explained in detail here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware/

> The next step will be getting the networking side up and running. How
> will I have to go about configuring things once I'veinstalled the .fw? I
> do have an old copy of the O'Reilly "Running Linux"(from 1996...). Is
> everything there still valid? That is, edit rc.inet1 and rc.inet2, and
> /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, /etc/host.conf and /etc/resolv.conf?

Nah... forget that oldie thingy ;-P. I'd prefer any of these:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.config-network.html

Greteings,